Sunday, September 21, 2008

Karyn's Favorite Chain Restaurants

10. McDonald's
Now, I don't go to McDonald's very often, but whenever I'm overseas, it's the only place I want to eat. I'm pretty sure I've eaten at McDonald's in 20 different countries throughout Europe, Asia, and the Pacific. It's just comforting to be able to have something familiar when you're thousands of miles away from home and don't want to sample the local delicacy of dog's head on a stick. Plus, you can always find a new, interesting meal item in a foreign McDonald's, such as broccoli nuggets in the Czech Republic or the 2000 calorie "Boss" in New Zealand.

9. Dave and Buster's
This one is for the ambiance, as it is no longer acceptable for me to frequent Chuck E. Cheese's without being branded a pedophile. The food's pretty good though, and it's one of my favorite places to play pool.

8. Donato's
I'm not a big fan of pizza, but I love Donato's. The white vegetable pizza with chicken on thin crust is delicious.

7. Outback
If you want a decent steak from a chain at a reasonable price, then this is the place to go. I was a huge fan of the Cyclone Pasta, until they took it off the menu this year...bastards. The Bloomin' Onion is a calorie nightmare, but well worth the splurge.

6. Sheetz
I know Sheetz isn't technically a restaurant, but it's a great place to stop for a quick bite if you're on a long drive or just plain drunk. The Club Pretzel Melt is one of the best things I've ever eaten, and who doesn't enjoy saying the word "Shmuffin"?

5. Bennigan's
Oh, Bennigan's...my heart broke when I heard that they had declared bankruptcy earlier this year and that most of their restaurants were closing (including all Ohio locations). Where else can you enjoy a sandwich as delicious as the Monte Cristo (which one blogger has described as "a coronary wrapped inside a stroke, wrapped inside a diabetic seizure")? Mad props also go out to the Southwest Sampler and the Turkey O'Toole sandwich. Bennigan's has become my Holy Grail of dining...if anyone knows of one close by that's still open, let me know!

4. Buca di Beppo
In my opinion, the best Italian chain of all time. I know this makes me sound like a fatty, but the chicken marsala is to die for. Buca di Beppo is also home to the greatest dining experience in the world - the Pope room. Nothing like a giant lazy susan table with good ol' Pope John Paul II's head sitting smack in the middle. While playing ball at CSU, I made sure that we ate at Buca di Beppo's and got that table during every trip to Chicago for four years. It was the biggest accomplishment of my career.





3. Champp's
No, it's not the sporting goods store. Champp's will always hold a special place in my heart because I used to work there as a waitress, but the food is really great, especially the Walnut Crusted Chicken. They have recently changed their plate ware from circles to squares, which, as we all know, means one step closer to a five star dining experience.

2. The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory represents everything that is wrong with America, but at the same time, everything that is so right. Their menu can be described as nothing short of epic, clocking in at approximately 25 pages (granted, there are a lot of ads), and they offer at least 20 different types of cheesecake, not to mention the fact that there are two kinds of free bread - white AND brown! I highly recommend the Navajo sandwich and the Spicy Chicken Chipotle Pasta.

1. Taco Bell
Taco Bell is my lifeline, which is kind of ironic because I used to hate it as a kid. I almost died when I found out that the nearest one was a 30 minute drive away from grad school. However, I still managed to make the trip up there more often than what is considered healthy/normal. I think I could write pages about my love for this place, but I won't. You're welcome.


Thanks for letting me guest post, guys!

No comments: