Friday, September 12, 2008

Hula Boy's Top Ten Superhero Casting Decisions



10. Shirley Manson as Harley Quinn


Shirley Manson, lead singer of Garbage and recent addition to the Sarah Connor Chronicles, is reportedly one crazy women, which is just the right trait needed for a Harley Quinn actress. She has also been known to wear excessive makeup, somewhat resembling Harley Quinn. I feel like this is a perfect fit, now only if we could somehow bring Heath back to play the Joker so HQ could be added as a character in the next Batman movie.



9. Bruce Campbell as Green Lantern

I know Bruce Campbell is a little too old for the role, but he definitely has the chin for the role. And since I’m not sure how a Green Lantern movie could be done without making it a little over the top, I’m not sure there would be a better actor suited for that role. Also, Campbell has already made his mark with a great superhero ring scene (the Peter Parker marriage proposal scene), so why not give him a crack with another, more powerful ring?



8. Zooey Deschanel as Squirrel Girl


Squirrel Girl, a little known heroine originating in the Iron Man comics, would make a great character addition to the next Iron Man movie. I could think of no better actress, than Zooey, to play the cute love interest that would complete the triangle between Tony Stark and Pepper Potts. I think this selection deserves points for creativity.



7. Ryan Reynolds as Flash

Ryan Reynolds has long been rumored to star in a worthy comic book adaptation, ever since his shameful appearance in Blade Trinity. I originally felt he would have been perfect for the 'Merc with a Smirk' aka Deadpool, until upon some research found out that this was actually a real casting decision (which is too cool.) So, I had to switch some things up and wanted to give some love to my favorite DC big, who is in need of a movie appearance.



6. Anthony Michael Hall as The Riddler

There are rumors that Hall's character will be spun off into The Riddler for the third Batman movie. But there are also rumors that Johnny Depp may play the character once butchered by Jim Carrey. Well, count this as my official vote for The Riddler. I think the former Breakfast Cluber deserves more roles and would love to see his role in Dark Knight expanded upon.



5. Michael C. Scott as Daredevil


I'm a huge Daredevil fan, which may be due to his day job. And while I feel like Ben Affleck's portrayal of the character wasn't too shabby, the movie sucked and the character should be resurrected for a second attempt at a character who should translate well to the big screen. The devious and sly Dexter would seem like the perfect fit, plus he looks the part too.



4. Sarah Michelle Gellar as Ms. Marvel

Ms. Marvel is a pretty underrated character, and my favorite female superhero from a pretty poor selection. I think her mythology would play well on film and Sarah Michelle would be the perfect actress for the part. Her role as Buffy would obviously qualify her for the physical aspects. I also feel like this is the right spot to mention my hatred of Wonder Woman.



3. Liam Neeson as Dr. Strange

Another personal favorite character of mine is Dr. Strange. His stuff is the perfect blend of sci-fi, fantasy, and superhero. The historical aspect of his character is also pretty cool, and a medieval time period for the character would make for an awesome movie in my opinion (think 1602ish). One of the great actors for this part and any part would have to be Liam Neeson, who could grow the ideal facial hair for the role.



2. Arnold Schwarzenegger/Roland Kickinger as Thor

Thor is a pretty lame character. But Arnold in any movie is awesome. Therefore Arnold as Thor would be awesome. Really, I just feel like we need to put the Governator into the Marvel universe somehow, and Thor could be that character. It is a shame this hasn't been done already, but thanks to the technology being rumored about in Terminator Salvation, maybe we could see the pair Roland Kickinger and Arnold play the Norse hero in a superhero movie.



1. Johnny Depp as Sandman


Johnny Depp is definitely one of the best actors working today (right there with Leo and Phillip Seymour Hoffman), so I feel like it's essential to bring him into the superhero fold. What better way to do this than in one of the most epic superhero stories of all time, Sandman? The role seems perfect for the quirky actor who likes weird projects, and played a similar looking character in Edward Scissorhands. A Neil Gaiman scripted, Tim Burton directed, Johnny Depp starring Sandman would be incredible. Somebody needs to make this happen. NOW!

I thought this topic was a blast, maybe that's just because I made it up. I created it with the intent of thinking of the proper Captain America, since he is my fave character, but I really couldn't think of anyone to play that role. I'm not sure there is an actor working today with the proper acting chops and build to play the part. What I do know is John Malkovich would be the perfect Red Skull. Also, I'd like to think I was pretty fair with my DC/Marvel split, with a 4-6 mark. Anyways, I hope the other posters had as much fun as I with this category.

No comments: